Skip to content
7 Holiday Foods That Are Bad For Your Pet

7 Holiday Foods That Are Bad For Your Pet

Especially during holidays when the entire family comes together to eat great amounts of delicious food, it is hard to resist your pets’ irresistible puppy eyes when they're begging for a bite. Whenever they stalk us into the kitchen and just sit there patiently, staring at us, while we eat a nice meat dish or a piece of chocolate cake it feels cruel not to share. However, there are some foods that we should never allow our pets to eat, because they can actually severely harm or even kill them:

1.Chocolate

While most of us can’t live without chocolate, for our canine companions even a small amount can be lethal. The toxic substances in it (Methylxanthines) are found in Cacao seeds. Therefore the darker the chocolate, the higher the threat for your pets to get seriously poisoned.

2. Raisins

Although it is not exactly known, what substance in grapes and raisins is toxic, only small amounts can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats.

3.Caffeine

After your meal you'll likely enjoy some coffee or tea. Both contain caffeine, which can actually be fatal to dogs and cats so make sure they stay away from it.

4.Salty Snacks

Great amounts of salt can lead to excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Therefore avoid feeding salt-heavy snacks like potato chips, biscuits, and salted popcorn to your canine friends. 5. Garlic and Onions This group of ingredients can be found in just about anything in our holiday meals. But in fresh, cooked, powdered, or any other form, it can lead to damaged blood cells and anemia, so don't take any risks!

6. Cooked Bones

Never feed your dog cooked bones, as they can perforate the intestines, sometimes even requiring surgery.

7.Milk and Dairy

Quite contrary to the common believe that milk is a natural and healthy product to give to dogs and cats, the lactose can actually be very harmful to them because they lack the enzymes to process it the way we do.    If you suspect that your pet has consumed any of the mentioned above,  look out for the following symptoms:  
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abnormal drinking or urination
  • Lethargy
  • Inappetence
  • Halitosis
  • Dehydration
  Seek immediate medical care for your pet if you think they might suffer from poisoning and always be extra careful with what to and not feed your pet.  
Previous article Should I Brush My Pet's Teeth?
Next article Everything You Need To Know About Peanut Butter For Dogs

Comments

upbqrcugue - March 16, 2021

Muchas gracias. ?Como puedo iniciar sesion?

Leave a comment

* Required fields